Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pajama's for Read In Day at School Tommorrow, Midnight Finish!

I did it. I whipped up my 10 year old a pair of comfy jammies, and I managed to do it before midnight. I impress myself.

I can sure tell I am out of practice in the sewing department. My poor old Viking 6390, (which is about 30 years old) squeaks when it sews.) I really should replace it but I love that old machine it is like a part of the family.

Eventually when I dig through all my old photos I am going to show you all the things that thing and I have put together over the years. I can't really afford to replace it anyhow. I guess I need to hunt up that guy who fixes machines that I met at a yard sale last summer, maybe I can find him through craigslist. I can't afford to take the baby to a professional shop it costs me 100 bucks just to walk in the door with it.

Oh and my good old huskavarna serger, well, that thing just doesn't like seems. You should have heard me trying not to cuz it out when I was zipping these pj's up. I will maybe eventually give you all a tutorial on how to sew cuffs on things lickety split. I would have to do it in a video, it is a trick I learned back when I worked in a sewing factory which spit out silk jackets all day long. No use for pins we sewed those babies on with a serger, and we were paid by the piece, so it had to be fast.

Speaking of fast, I made these pj's from start to finish in about 2 hour. I have such a sweet guy. I called him from Walmart early today, after he got home from school, and asked him what characters he wanted on his pj's cause I didn't think I was going to be able to get them all done.  He said don't worry about it mom, I don't have to wear them. He didn't want me to spend money we didn't have in our budget on his PJ's.

Because of that it made me want to get them done even more. I let him pick out some material out of my stash and he came up with two knits that I had bought at Walmart a few years ago for a buck a yard. I bought the whole bolts, because it was the kind of knits you could easily use for ribbing on tshirts as well. Red and Black, colors that would go with lots of stuff.

Again, it took me longer to pin and cut them, then to actually sew them. I will get a pic of them on him in the morning and post them up for you all to see.

I am not such a spring chic anymore, and it seems the hardest part for me was keeping my lower back from hurting when I cut them out at the table. I need to get a more back friendly chair for my sewing area too. :)

That's all for tonight, I have to get up early in the morning.

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment